I’ve made some progress! I have now put together the brand identity guide which I’m using to inform the rest of the the designs.
I am really glad that I’ve got this done because it means I can finally put together all the other elements (menu, t-shirt, poster, cups, signage, business cards). In the end I went with the font Iron and Brine for the primary logo because it seemed to have more substance to it than the other design and I decided that it looked better on all scales. Since making the decision I have been pleased with it because I have started designing the business cards and menu and I think that the logo is working well with the look i’m going for. I also added some variations of the logo that can be used in different colour ways or just to mix up the designs so that they don’t all look identical. I also selected the font Quicksand to be used in the body text on the menu and other places where clarity is important. I drew the illustrations of the bananas on Illustrator and I am satisfied with them. I did initially try scanning in a drawing I had done by hand and image tracing it but it looked very messy (see below). To solve this I drew directly in Illustrator using the brush tool. Because it was only a simple illustration it worked quite well but it wouldn’t have if the image was any more complicated.