Over the last few days I have been researching, designing, developing and testing the business cards. I looked at some business cards that I thought incorporated things that i’d like to use. For example, I found that lots of business cards are stamped, giving them a rustic and handmade feel. I also thought that this would be particularly good for mine since I want to use the thick elephant poo paper which might not work in a printer. I also looked at use of colour and illustration in business cards. From my research, I took that business cards are often used to communicate very quickly the values of the company. This meant that I would have to make it clear from the cards alone that the cafe was all about natural, sustainable food.
I did lots of sketching and developing my ideas. I think this stage went particularly well because I began to visualise the different ideas i’d had much better. I used Illustrator and put together a couple of the designs. I thought that I would put the town name as the largest word on the back of the card but when I came to look at it after I had printed it out, I decided that actually it would be more important to have the name of the cafe as the most clear text so I changed it (see below).I ordered some stamps from the English Stamp Company of both the logo and the banana illustration. I thought that this would make the business cards easier to produce because they could be hand printed and I wouldn’t have to worry about double sided printing. The stamps arrived today and I’m really pleased with them. Initially I was worried about the smaller text underneath being too small and not printing well but when I tested it out with the ink, it worked fine. I just found that i’d have to make sure not to press too hard into the ink pad.