Typographic Writing (Process)

This project was for the module Typography, and was all about understanding typographic detail. We were given the unformatted text for a book called Typographic Writing which was a collection of essays and biographies that had been published in ISTD journals over the years.

The task was to take the text and design the layout of the book. We had to do the cover, spine, introduction, contents pages, essays, biographies and section dividers.

I started with some research into publications that I liked and I looked at the original book to see what what wrong with it and how it might be improved. The audience needed to be young design students so I wanted my design to feel contemporary, fun and bold.

I looked at typefaces to start to get a feel for a visual language. And I began to sketch thumbnails for grids. I designed the contents page first to give myself a system that could then be applied to the rest of the document.


I decided that I wanted to have two columns and I started doing layouts digitally quite early on. I kept referring to the values that I had established at the start: fun, friendly, bold and contemporary. This drove the project.

Lots of the development was to do with typographic detail, making small changes to affect the overall system and functionality and readability of the book.

img_0911Generally the development of the design of my publication was subtle, but comparing the first and last versions of one particular essay text shows how much the layout improved both visually and in terms of readability. screen-shot-2017-01-08-at-14-54-18The book was broken into 4 sections: Working Practice, Education, Technology, and History. I looked at each of these and designed a section divider for each that could be torn out of the book and used as a poster. I hoped that this would appeal to design students and would be a fun and interactive way to engage the reader.img_0912section dividers.jpgThen after all of the inside of the book was designed, I looked at the cover. I wanted the book to look simple but bright and to appeal to a student audience and look fun on a shelf. I used the finger index as a nod to typographic history and to add an illustrative element.img_0913img_0914cover-front-and-back-new-colour2

Thumbnails of spreads ^


Although this was different from anything I had done before, it was an interesting project. I learned lots about typographic detail and the importance of grids and systems. When my project is handed back to me after assessment, I will photograph the final publication properly and publish it in my portfolio.

Scan 12 copy


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s