This project was in response to a D&AD brief from this year. As i’m only a second year, we weren’t expected to enter our work into the competition so I was able to approach it without worrying too much about whether I was sticking completely to the brief. In total I spent 3-4 weeks from start to finish on it.
“Put Arjowiggins Creative Papers at the heart of a campaign, initiative, product or service for Sony Music and remind digital customers of the power of paper”. Continue reading
This project was for the module Typography, and was all about understanding typographic detail. We were given the unformatted text for a book called Typographic Writing which was a collection of essays and biographies that had been published in ISTD journals over the years.
The task was to take the text and design the layout of the book. We had to do the cover, spine, introduction, contents pages, essays, biographies and section dividers.
I started with some research into publications that I liked and I looked at the original book to see what what wrong with it and how it might be improved. The audience needed to be young design students so I wanted my design to feel contemporary, fun and bold. Continue reading
We went on a study trip to Amsterdam in October last year and it was a fantastic chance to visit some dutch design studios and speak to some of the designers. We were asked to document the trip however we liked.
I decided to collect type from all over the city. As I explored Amsterdam, I photographed interesting, and in some cases not so interesting, typography. I kept a scrap of paper with the alphabet written on it in my pocket for the whole trip so that I could keep track of which characters I’d collected. Continue reading
This project was for the module ‘Consumerism’ and therefore focused on brand creation and identity.
Problem // The UK’s first Spaceport needs a unique selling point, concept and brand. The proposal must be believable as a commercial brand in the space sector.
I researched the existing space sector, space history, air travel, Cornwall, and more to try to find an exciting insight that would drive the project. To me, the experience of space was what was most fascinating. See my pinterest board for the project to get a feel for the journey that my visual research took.
At the beginning of this year, I began a project to make some art everyday. It took the form of #yayeveryday2016 which is a tag created by Toby on instagram. He posts prompts at the beginning of the month and artists use them to inspire creative work. As of today, I am on day 215 and have really really enjoyed having a reason to make stuff everyday. Definitely check out the tag on instagram, I keep finding amazing artists through it.
Sometimes I post in the tag but often I just make the art for my own benefit, to help keep me creative and to give me an outlet for my doodlings outside my uni work. Since we’re now well over halfway through the year, I thought I’d share a few of my favourite pages from my sketchbooks, most of which I haven’t posted on insta. I use little Moleskines which are perfect and pocket sized for artiness on the go.
3rd Jan // Pot Plant
10th Jan // Ponies
13th Jan // Cut & paste
14th Jan // Twins
Yesterday I went to Art in Action, which is a huge summer arts festival in Oxfordshire. I’ve been lots of times before and I had a brilliant time as always, although sadly this year is its last. The festival runs until Sunday 17th July and I wholeheartedly recommend it! It features hundreds of artists and craftspeople and provides a platform for them to demonstrate their processes, show and sell their work and teach classes. It is an incredible event and I always leave feeling really inspired. Continue reading
I’ve now finished first year at Falmouth which is exciting and I’ve had a really good time. I’m looking forward to getting back in September.
This was a project that I did at the end of semester 2. The brief was titled Playing With Food and was to “engage children in a creative exploration of food [which, in turn, encourages a positive attitude towards eating a balanced diet]”. I did lots of initial research but eventually decided to take forward the idea of designing the brand identity for a national campaign for schools to get children interested in food.
My final outcome was a week long, rainbow themed celebration of food encouraging schools to take part and put on workshops, games, competitions and cookery classes. Hopefully children would become more confident and enthusiastic about food and eat a healthier, more balanced diet. Continue reading
This project was just a fun, optional project to make the most of the fact that we had an extra day in our term this year because it was a leap year. On February 29th we put on an exhibition of handmade items. We had to present a set of four items that we had made; they could be anything we liked. The idea was that we could show off a creative skill outside of graphic design.
I chose to make some little clay pots, paint them and plant some succulents into them. I’m so happy with how they turned out and I’m definitely going to make more because I think they would make cute presents.
This project was part two of the ‘A word in your eye’ project and continued on from the the type project that we completed before Christmas. We had to design a drink based on one of the words that we had used in the previous project. Mine was erudite (having or showing great knowledge or learning.)
I researched different drinks that I thought had connotations of science or learning. Of course, I had a pinterest board to collate my research and pull together some visual language. I looked into brain food and juice diets that claim to boost brain power.
I decided to focus my research on cold pressed juices because they are supposedly the most nutritious way to drink juice Continue reading